Saracens fined R101 million, docked 35 league points for salary cap breaches

Saracens fined R101 million, docked 35 league points for salary cap breaches

It hasn’t neem a good few days for England captain Owen Farrell and his England team mates from the Saracens club.

After the shock and very comprehensive loss to South Africa in the World Cup final, their champion club Saracens, have been punished with a 35-point deduction on the log and a £5m fine for breaching the competition’s salary cap. Saracens are the reigning Premiership and European Cup champions

The club has been under investigation since April after details of business partnerships between owner Nigel Wray and several leading players, including Maro Itoje, Owen Farrell and the Vunipola brothers, were not disclosed to Premiership Rugby.

The league's governing body confirmed on Tuesday that the charges against Saracens relate to the 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons. An Independent Panel – which conducted a hearing over five days in September and October 2019 – decided that Saracens b failed to disclose payments to players in each of the seasons. The club has also been found to have exceeded the ceiling for payments to senior players in each of the three seasons.

The panel, therefore, upheld all of the charges against the London club. The sanctions which have been imposed on Saracens are as follows: • a total fine of £5 360 272 (about R101,8 million at current exchange rates) • and a total deduction of 35 league points

The points deduction will apply to the current season with Mark McCall’s side now on minus 26 league points after two wins and one loss from their opening three games of the 2019/20 campaign.

A Premiership Rugby spokesperson said in reaction to the decision that ”the salary cap is an important mechanism to ensure a level playing field for Premiership Clubs and maintain a competitive, growing and financially sustainable league. Today’s decision by the Independent Panel upholds both the principle of the salary cap and the charges brought following an extensive investigation by Premiership Rugby.”