Saracens Chief Executive Ed Griffiths presided over an emergency meeting of staff and players at the club’s training ground on Friday as efforts continue to reduce the wage bill.
Saracens have reiterated they will do whatever is “reasonably required” to prove they are operating within the salary cap for the current season, reports news agency AFP. “Discussions are continuing and nothing has been finalised but our position remains the same,” Griffiths said in a statement issued to the Press Association news agency..
The English Premiership and European champions – facing the threat of automatic relegation – are reported to have been told they will be demoted at the end of the campaign unless they can show compliance following a summit of Premiership Rugby Limited Chief Executives in London on Tuesday.
In November Saracens were docked 35 points and fined £5.3 million (approx. R 99,7 million) for breaking the salary cap for the past three seasons.
However, patience appears to have run out among rivals over their efforts to fall within the £7 million limit for the 2019-20 campaign, having added England internationals Elliot Daly and Jack Singleton to their squad.
♦ Griffiths admitted earlier this month there must either be wage reductions or players trimmed from the squad in order to comply with salary cap regulations.
It has been reported that £2 million is the amount of savings needed to be found.
“Discussions are continuing and nothing has been finalised but our position remains the same,” Griffiths said in a statement.